Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Yay!

I admit, right now I do not feel very 'Yay'-ish, but that's all right. I will say it anyway. Yay!

I achieved my goal! I read Five books over what can be seen as Christmas Break. Two Fluff books, and Three All-Out Classics. Only One was a hard read, however, and that was the first.

I Must admit that I started Hunchback just before School Started -- I think. it was around that time. However, I did not get far, just to about page one hundred. I.E -- the description of an over head view of Paris at the Time of the Story, as contrasted with the Time of Hugo. Blah. Well, that barrier held me back for quite a while, I can say, but over Christmas (or rather, right before Christmas Break) I really needed to read something. So I picked it up again.

It was amazing. It had some... stuff in it that I did not like one bit, but it was still really good. I finished it right about the time that the first brother returned from school.

I promptly started reading Ben Hur, but I've never been good at just starting books like that -- take Hunchback for example. I just couldn't get really into it at first. So I floundered, and soon gave that up. I will get to it, just a little later.

By this time, Christmas had rolled around, and along with it came Christmas Presents, Chief among these were the Books! I received two Very Good Young Adult/Children's books -- Tanglewreck by... some lady, which I had read before, but still read and enjoyed. the other book was one I had been anticipating for some time -- Book of a Thousand Days, by Shannon Hale. I really like all of her other children's books, and I really enjoyed this one as well. Very easy reads, both of them, but quite enjoyable.

I also received two other books, one from each of the brothers. The Elder Brother gave me A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. It was really good, quite funny, and a quick read that took a while. I started it around New Year's, and I finished it Sunday. So... about two weeks.

The other book was from the Younger Brother, obviously, and it was The Princess Bride. Now, believe it or not, I had not read this book previously. I do not know why, but it just hadn't grabbed my interest. It is just that kind of a book, I guess. I have seen the movie millions of times, and My father read the book to all of us several years back, but that was a while ago. I guess that is why I saved it for last -- because I knew what was going to happen. Granted, I had read Tanglewreck before, but when I read it again, I really had no idea what was going to happen from moment to moment. It was just another one of those fluff books that I had read a while back.

So, Yesterday I started reading The Princess Bride. I started just before Dinner, and, with several interruptions, I kept going until I went to bed at Eleven -- much later than normal. This evening I finished the job off -- I read every single page in the whole book. I read all of the two introductions (this is the '25th Anniversary' Edition), and I read the little thing at the end -- The First Chapter of the Long Lost Sequel, Buttercup's Baby. It really wasn't anything great.

So, I read the majority of Five Books in what I will Class as Christmas Break, because I want to say it. I really need something to be happy about right now. You ought to be able to tell that just by looking at what Time I am going to post this at... If I were feeling normal, then I would be in bed, sleeping, right now. but I am not. Because I wouldn't be able to sleep.

I don't want to go into it, even though, maybe, I should. it's just kind of... hard. This is when I think about things that give me a reason to be sad, like Dustfinger, or Sydney. This is why I like tragedies -- because they make feeling sad feel sort of good, in a rather mixed up way.

Well, it won't do any good, but I don't feel like doing anything else, so I'm going to head to bed now.

This is Comtess Rosie, over and out.

No comments: